Family Nurse Practitioners are the Future of Primary Care
Many families and communities across the U.S. already rely on family nurse practitioners as their primary source of health care — and the demand for nurses with FNP certification is growing.
- Develop an advanced and holistic skill set. See the bigger picture as you promote health and wellness, prevent disease, manage primary care and provide wellness education for individuals, families and at-risk populations.
- Gain autonomy and lead through action. Demonstrate independent decision-making and critical thinking skills through evidence-based practice. Recognize and provide culturally appropriate health care wherever you choose to practice.
- Define your own career path. Focus your practice on primary health care for families, and gain deeper insight into health care policy, technology and research.
Why Choose Carson-Newman's Online Post-Master's FNP Certificate Program
Our online programs provide unrivaled support and a user-friendly online learning system.
- Convenient and flexible. Designed for working nurses, with 100% online coursework (not including clinicals, practicum or residency) and no mandatory login times.
- Small class sizes. Enjoy an intimate learning environment focused on meeting your needs – we provide the attention and support you need to help you succeed.
- Personalized support. A dedicated Student Success Advisor provides one-on-one guidance and creates a supportive learning experience from registration to graduation day.
- Affordable tuition. Our Post-Master’s FNP Certificate Program is competitively priced and can save you up to $200 per credit hour when compared with nationwide competitors.
- Free and fast transcript evaluations. We evaluate your transcripts free of charge, usually within 48 hours.
To get more information, download our program guide now.
PMC-FNP State Restrictions
Online Post-Master’s FNP Certificate Curriculum
Below is a selection of courses from our program. For a complete curriculum and course descriptions, please download a free brochure:
NURS 507 Advanced Health Assessment
NURS 537 Advanced Primary Nursing Care for Adults
NURS 540 Accountability for Advanced Nursing Practice
Currently, the Carson-Newman online PMC-FNP program is available in the following states:
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Online FNP Certificate Program Careers and Outcomes
Family Nurse Practitioners Are in Demand
Family nurse practitioners typically earn more than RNs or BSN-prepared nurses. The 2018 Nurse Practitioner Compensation Survey conducted by the AANP indicates that the average total annual income (which includes base salary, productivity bonuses, incentive payments) for full-time NPs was $109,021. This is approximately $35,500 more than the 2017 average annual salary of a registered nurse at $73,550. By 2026, more than 56,100 nurse practitioner positions are expected to be created (according to the BLS).
Families and Communities Depend on FNP
The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) predicts a shortage of more than 20,000 primary care physicians by 2020. Family nurse practitioners are filling the gap left by physicians. By earning an FNP Certificate online, you will help fulfill the growing need for primary care providers in underserved communities across the United States.
Improve Career Satisfaction and Independence
Family nurse practitioners enjoy a high rate of job satisfaction. An FNP is ranked as one of the top five Best Healthcare Jobs and in the top seven of the 100 Best Jobs overall, according to U.S. News & World Report, 2019. This satisfaction comes from the ability to define their own practice and be the primary care providers for people of all ages, in the very communities in which they live. Many states also grant prescriptive privileges to FNPs.
Nurse Practitioners Make a Difference
According to a study in the journal Medical Care, practices with nurse practitioners on staff list fewer hospitalizations, ER visits and specialist referrals. Other findings indicate that there is little difference when comparing patient results regarding primary health care provided by a nurse practitioner and MDs.
Apply today to learn how quickly you can complete the program. Get your transcript evaluation within 24 to 48 hours. Contact us or download a free brochure to learn more.
Other Options for Registered Nurses
At Carson-Newman, all nurses learn from a caring faculty of active practitioners who provide stimulating clinical experiences that directly connect hands-on assessment with comprehensive patient care opportunities. If you are a BSN-prepared RN and are interested in becoming a family nurse practitioner, our online MSN-FNP program can prepare you to become a more empowered and autonomous caregiver.